Saturday

"The Book of Me, Written by You" - Unexplained Memories

This is a journey of finding yourself and how your loved ones see you in their eyes. Further, this can be online and carried forward to share, if you wish, to future generations.
This is a journey of finding yourself and how your loved ones see you in their eyes. Further, this can be online and carried forward to share, if you wish, to future generations. - See more at: http://joannfitz.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/the-book-of-me-written-by-you-topic-1.html#sthash.2TuO2bVu.dpuf
This is a journey of finding yourself and how your loved ones see you in their eyes. Further, this can be online and carried forward to share, if you wish, to future generations. - See more at: http://joannfitz.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/the-book-of-me-written-by-you-topic-1.html#sthash.2TuO2bVu.dpuf
The prompt for the week is:   
Unexplained Memories

The Brief:
 Do you have an unexplained memory or memories?
Items
Places
People

Things and times you can remember, but you are not sure where they fit into your past 


I have many memories of growing up. First, when my parents, who later divorced, were still together and then after the divorce. Most I remember where, and a general age of myself, everyone was when the memory happened. 

There was two places my mother visited when I was very small. One of the places, was when I was in a car seat and it was before my parents divorced. It was on a road called Drury Lane (now call North and South Drury Lane) and my mother, who had just started driving, drove her small little car down
this street and took a left. The gravel road went up this steep hill and she turned right and the house was there among the trees. I remember the slope of the driveway because the car went almost 90 degrees up the driveway. I was able to find an updated picture of what I think is the road from Google maps. The road has been redirected because of the local airport getting an upgrade. Anyhow, I do know it was a relative of my mother's somehow, but I'm not sure who.

The 2nd mystery location
There is one other building which is from the time when my mother and father were divorcing. I know she used to bring me to this house, near Newburgh, NY, and leave me there with cartoons turned on. She did this a few times - brought me into this house, turned on the TV and told them that I'd just sit there in front of the TV and told them she'd back soon. Off she went and a few hours later, she'd come back. It might be another relative but I'm not sure.

My Mother's Memory

I know my mother has a memory when she was growing up of someone important in the family had died and they had the person laid out in the living room for people to come and pay their respects. There was a candle at each end of the coffin that was there about a week. She says she still can see it and it gives her the chills because of the dead body. She was about 8-10 years old.

Example of a person laid out for respects.

  
This picture I obtained from here.       





It was only upon my reading of rituals of the Polish history, that I found that this was common within families. I did ask her if it was her grandfather or grandmother but she really didn't know. This is
interesting to me because it shows just how much influence region and Polish rituals still were kept once they settled into their "new" country.


Check back next week for the continuation of "The Book of me, Written by You" series.   

No comments:

Post a Comment